Friday, February 12, 2016

Day 2 - sweet tooth pangs

Wednesday evening and Thursday were more trying than I had anticipated so early. No sooner had Lent begun than I was struck by a sweet tooth. And things like cookies and chocolates were casually offered to me. More than some unfortunate reverse psychology-type effect, I'm pretty sure it coincides with the approach of my time of the month.

A flaw in having such broad meditations picked out is that, in a moment of distraction when I want something I've given up and must refuse myself, I don't have something conveniently compact to bring  to mind as an alternative. If my meditation were boiled down to a phrase or passage, I could at least recite the words in any moments of need. That would bring my attention immediately to where my focus should be and away from dwelling what I can't have. 

Eh. 

I would rather have a poorly-defined meditation chosen than none at all. I did very little for lent the last three years. Almost nothing. I am in a mind for something compensatorially ambitious. For nothing, really.

"Better than nothing" is not a great phrase to pin on an undertaking meant as an offering to the Almighty. That is also something I think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment