Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Ash Wednesday

Lent begins again.

This year, I am giving up processed carbs and sweets for lent. No bread, hash browns, tortilla chips, bagels, chocolate, ice cream, etc. It's a little vague, I know, and also kind of broad. To deal with that, I'm specifically allowing any kind of gum (even sweet/fruity), and fresh fruit, fruit juice and smoothies. I'm also vaguely thinking that when the going gets tough I'll replace sweets with meat as a treat. I don't really eat meat, but last year I browned some chicken on the stove and it tasted so good it was like my candy for the week. 

My meditation for this lent is a bit of a mix. The main theme is me actively trying to bring my spirituality, religion, and my active relationship with G-d into my daily life. Become more intentional with all of it. In addition, I intend to use this penitential period to meditate on the question of what should my relationship with the Almighty be, now and eventually, ideally. A natural consequence of keeping Him in my thoughts more readily should also be to make me more acutely aware of and sensitive to the merit or consequence of my daily actions and thoughts in the context of His word. And, of course, I hope to use this space as a part of my meditation, to track as much as to process.

To remember my fast, I have decided to wear a bracelet. It is discrete and light, but I cannot forget the presence of something on my wrist.

There's more, but enough for today. Peace be with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment