Friday, February 12, 2016

Day 3 - the relationship

This is a piece of what I know, not necessarily how things are.

I am a pledged servant to Him to whom all is owed: all thanks, all love, all fealty, all matter, all devotion.  His province is my life, as is all creation, and my province is to please Him. He has a right to my doings- thought, word, and deed. My only thought should be to serve Him and to please Him. 

What pleases Him, according to some parts of scripture, is obedience and deference. Thus, then, would one please Him by obeying His commandments. And His chief commandments are to love Him and to love others. All else follows from those two. The implications can be unpacked endlessly. 

[Be kind and patient and compassionate toward all, even those that are offensive to you. Protect His works for you show love for an artisan by cherishing and preserving their art. Take care of yourself and love and cherish yourself for the same reason and also so that you are in a better place to support and serve others. ...]

Going back for a moment, as I said He has a right to me, but He does not ever seize that right. My Lord, rightful Master, never ever exerts His authority over me, over any of us. We have totally free reign within this world and life to do as we will. (True, it is within the confines of His creation, the smallest details of which He anticipates if not orchestrates, but that is a line of thought for another time.) We can behave in any number of ways, and there is no one correct course that will please Him. In any course of actions we may swing from pleasing to displeasing Him, from displeasing to pleasing Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment